- Agnico Eagle – The Nunavut Experience – Sustainable Development in Action
- Teck Resources – Teck’s breakthrough in water treatment in Elk Valley
- Kinross Gold – Sustainable initiatives across all operations
- Eldorado Gold – Use of Dry Stack Tailings in Turkey and Greece
- Agnico Eagle – Partnering with communities for environmental protection
- Rio Tinto – Signs MOU with Chinese steel partners
- Newmont Goldcorp – Inaugurates Borden, Ontario’s ‘Mine of the Future’
- Anglo American – Leads the way on IRMA Standard for Responsible Mining
- Teck Resources – Named to 2019 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index
- BHP – to invest US$400m to address climate change
1. Agnico Eagle – Communities in Nunavut
This video highlights the sustainable developments at the Meadowbank open-pit gold mine in the Kivalliq District of Nunavut – approximately 300 km west of Hudson Bay and 110 km by road north of Baker Lake.
2. Teck Resources – Elk Valley Water Treatment
A major breakthrough in water treatment using saturated rock fills to remove selenium and nitrate from the water.
3. Kinross Gold – Sustainability Initiatives
See how Kinross Gold supports social, cultural and environmental sustainability initiatives across their operations.
4. Eldorado Gold – Dry Stack Tailings
At Kokkinolakkas, Eldorado’s $100 million tailings management facility (TMF) in Halkidiki, dry tailings from Eldorado’s Olympias and Stratoni mines are stacked and separated from the surrounding environment by a 4-layer impermeable lining.
5. Agnico Eagle – Partnering with Communities
Nearly 23,000 plastic bottles were collected with the help of the Pinos Altos and Creston Mascota team in 2018 through different initiatives aimed at reducing plastic pollution at their mine sites and surrounding communities.
6. Rio Tinto – signs MOU with Chinese partners to explore ways to improve environmental performance across the steel value chain
Rio Tinto, one of the world’s largest iron ore producers, has today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with China’s largest steel producer, China Baowu Steel Group and Tsinghua University, one of China’s most prestigious and influential universities (the Parties), to develop and implement new methods to reduce carbon emissions and improve environmental performance across the steel value chain.
7. Newmont Goldcorp – Dignitaries Inaugurate Borden, Ontario’s ‘Mine of the Future’
Newmont Goldcorp Corporation and dignitaries from across Ontario inaugurated the Borden Gold Project (Borden), Ontario’s ‘mine of the future.’ The 100 percent owned Borden mine… and features state-of-the-art health and safety controls, digital mining technologies and processes, and low-carbon energy vehicles – all anchored in a mutually beneficial partnership with local communities.
8. Anglo American – Leads The Way On Irma Standard For Responsible Mining
Anglo American announces that its Unki platinum mine in Zimbabwe is the first to publicly commit to be independently audited against the Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance’s (IRMA) ‘Standard for Responsible Mining’.
9. Teck – Named to 2019 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index
For the 10th straight year, Teck Resources Limited (TSX: TECK.A and TECK.B, NYSE: TECK) (“Teck”) has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI), indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices are in the top 10 percent of the 2,500 largest companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index (BMI).
10. BHP – to invest US$400m to address climate change
BHP today announced a five-year, US$400m Climate Investment Program to develop technologies to reduce emissions from its own operations as well as those generated from the use of its resources.
BHP CEO Andrew Mackenzie said: “Over the next five years this program will scale up low carbon technologies critical to the decarbonisation of our operations. It will drive investment in nature-based solutions and encourage further collective action on scope three emissions.”